The secure web gateway market is still transforming toward SaaS deployments as CASB and DNS services capabilities add new challenges to traditional providers. Technology strategic planners must pay attention to these new concepts to compete effectively in the future “as-a-service” market.
- Secure web gateway (SWG) customers gain flexibility, management and performance advantages by adopting a pure cloud-based SWG solution or by leveraging a hybrid of on-premises hardware or virtual appliances with a cloud-based SWG.
- Some providers are moving to a solution stack that adds cloud access security broker (CASB) functions as an integrated capability for their overall SWG solution, bolstering external SaaS access security capabilities.
- Additional features such as cloud-based SWG connectivity via VPNs, Domain Name System (DNS) services enforcement and firewall capabilities like protocol-independent application control are now being coupled together as suites to compete with proxy-only SWG solutions, enabling broader threat defense and enforcement than traditional SWG solutions.
In order to exploit security market dynamics, technology strategic planners must:
- Focus development efforts on SaaS editions of SWG offerings, and consider moving traditional appliance product development toward maintenance or minor enhancements.
- Examine ways to leverage the combination of DNS and/or VPN-based network firewall enforcement methods to compete with emerging as-a-service solution concepts and to improve protection against threats beyond proxied HTTP, HTTPS and FTP protocols.
- Evaluate the goal of delivering a consolidated service solution stack that brings together multiple emerging security solutions building toward a secure internet gateway (SIG) service platform concept.
Download your Complete whitepaper to read The Gartner’s Analysis, Competitive Situation & Trends, Emerging trends, Competitive Profiles and a lot more.