When you hear the term “AAA game,” you probably think of a huge blockbuster that costs millions to make, takes years to develop, and involves thousands of people. What you may not realize is just how complicated it is to create an AAA game. In this article, we’ll explore some of the features that define an AAA game and what goes into making one. We’ll also look at some drawbacks in developing these games due to their complexity and cost.
What’s an AAA Game?
Machine learning allows developers to create more advanced characters than ever before, these characters will react realistically based on player input rather than just following predetermined scripts like older games did back when they were first created decades ago by humans alone without any help from computers (a process called procedural generation).
They’ve become so popular that even those who don’t play video games know about them, and have probably heard of some of these titles:
- Call of Duty (Activision Blizzard)
- Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar Games)
- Fortnite (Epic Games)
- Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (Ubisoft)
- AAA games are usually big-budget and mass-market. They often have a large team working on them, ranging from dozens to hundreds of people.
- These games tend to feature well-known characters or brands, such as Mario or Spider-Man, so they can sell more copies than indie games which don’t have those kinds of recognizable figures in them.
- AAA titles also tend not to be made by one person, instead, they’re created by teams who work together on all aspects of development: design, artistry, programming, and so forth. This means that every aspect needs careful consideration before it goes into production because if any one thing isn’t right then it could ruin everything else in the game!
What Constitutes the Usual Budget for AAA Games?
The cost of development is the most obvious and well-known part of game development. It’s what you see in your monthly bank statement when you buy a new game, and it includes things like salaries for programmers, artists, designers, and other staff members who worked on the game, as explained in detail here https://kevurugames.com/blog/why-are-aaa-games-so-expensive-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-budget/
The marketing budget covers all costs associated with promoting a product:
- Such as buying ad space in magazines or newspapers;
- Creating trailers;
- Sending out review copies of games;
- Paying celebrities to promote products at events like E3 Expo;
- Hiring publicists to arrange media interviews with developers (or even critics), etcetera ad infinitum.
More money spent on marketing means more exposure for the title being promoted, and hence higher sales figures once released into stores worldwide!
What’s the Standard Workforce for AAA Game Production?
You might be wondering how many people are needed to create an AAA game. The answer is a lot! In addition to the developers and designers working on the project, there are also testers who play through it and find bugs in order to make sure it’s ready for release. Then there are people who maintain all of those computers that run your favorite games, a job that requires a lot of skill and knowledge (and usually takes place in another country).
Finally, there are marketing departments whose sole purpose is getting people interested in playing these titles by doing things like producing trailers or advertisements.
What Is the Typical Timeline for Completing an AAA Game?
The length of time it takes to complete a AAA game depends on many factors. The most important one is the size of the project. A small indie team can have their game out in just six months, but that’s not something that’s possible for most AAA studios (or even mid-sized ones).
The typical timeline for completing an AAA game is two to three years. This can vary depending on what stage in development you’re talking about, some parts will take longer than others and some teams may find themselves needing more or less time as well.
Drawbacks in the Development of AAA Games
The biggest drawback of AAA games is that they are not always fun to play. Games like Call of Duty and Assassin’s Creed are too complicated for some people and may require a lot of time and effort to learn how to play them effectively, which can be frustrating for gamers who just want an enjoyable experience. Other games such as Grand Theft Auto don’t have enough story elements or interesting characters that make up for the repetitive tasks you have to do over and over again throughout the game’s campaign mode (i.e., missions).
Another issue with these types of games is their length: They’re often too short for their price tag. If you’re paying $60 USD for something that lasts only 8 hours and doesn’t give much replay value afterward, then it’s probably not worth buying at all! A good example here would be Watch Dogs 2, despite having received positive reviews from critics everywhere when it first came out last year due its innovative hacking gameplay mechanics combined with open-world elements similar those found in other titles like Fallout 4 or The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim series (though less complex), many players felt disappointed after finishing all four seasons’ worths content within two weeks tops because there wasn’t much else left beyond what has already been done before by other games released prior such as Grand Theft Auto 5 series (GTA5).
A lot of money is spent on creating the best games
- A lot of money is spent on creating the best games.
- AAA games have a high budget, which means they can afford to hire more people and make better-looking games.
- The quality standard for AAA games is higher than that of other types of games because they’re made with such large budgets, so there’s no room for error in terms of graphics or gameplay quality.
- Production value refers to how well something was made or produced, in this case, it means that the graphics look great and there are many details in each scene (for example: when you walk into a shopkeeper’s house and see his family photos hanging on walls).
- Labor force refers to how many people work on making an entire game, for example, if there are 100 people working on one title then we can say that its labor force is 100 strong!